Friday, August 28, 2009

Gall Bladder Extraction Adventure

A week after returning from London, I ended up in the ER. I had been having some pain in my right upper quadrant (under my ribs) for quite some time. This Tuesday, the pain became too much for me to bear. I went to the ER. That is where the fun began. I was being admitted into the hospital, but there were no beds so I stayed in the ER. The ER is not a place you want to be if you are tired or even want to sleep. The older gentleman next to me was SUPER annoying. He ripped out his IV twice and bled everywhere so the staff had to clean it up. He also screamed, "HELP! HELP!!" about every 20 minutes. It was awesome.
At 9:15 a woman comes in and says, "I have bad news, (I was thinking they were going to say I have to wait another day to have the surg) We need to move you into the hall since we need the beds and you are a non-urgent patient. So I sat on the stretcher from 9:15 until 1pm when the OR staff finally came to get me. I don't remember anything from the time they put something in my IV (anesthesia) until they woke me up in recovery.
I was really hoping to go home, but they kept me another night - woo hoo! I do not like staying in hospitals. My neighbor was a very strange and whiney and I almost told her to shut up, but she obviously needed the attention from the nursing staff.
I came home on Thursday afternoon and can't drive until the pain goes away, but I am hoping for that soon. So all things considered, I am doing just fine.
Hope all are well!

1 comment:

  1. congrats on getting your internship!! and hope you are recovering well??? Miss you!

    ReplyDelete